Nov 24, 2008

BRIYANI RICE

I love Briyani. Every Saturday when I bring my daughter to her enrichment class, without fail, I'll have lunch of mutton briyani at the regular stall nearby. It was then I decided that I wanted to cook the Briyani rice at home and I searched many sites for recipe. After going through many sites, I finally settled for this one which is simple and can be cooked with a rice cooker after frying the spices in the wok.

A very pakistan way of cooking rice is usually by boiling water first. When the water is boiled, you add the rice that has been cleaned and soaked. Cook for about 20 minutes, test to see if cooked and pour out the remaining water. I watched my landlords cooking their rice this way for 3 years but I've never tried. The chinese way of cooking is to put just enough water into the right portion of rice. Both yields different texture. But basmati rice is slightly firm compared to white processed rice or fragrant rice.

Here is a very simple recipe that I've tried at home. This recipe is by Amy Beh, a very popular food writer, consultant in Malaysia and Asia. You can't go wrong with most of her recipes.

Ingredients
500g rice, wash and drain
2 tbsp oil or ghee
2 3/4 cups water
1/4 cup evaporated milk or yoghurt
1 1/2 tsp salt

Spices (A):
6 cardamoms
1 star anise
6 cloves
2 stalks lemon grass, smashed
2cm piece cinnamon stick
2 pandan leaves, knotted

Fry in oil till crispy:
15 shallots, sliced thinly
3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly

Method
Heat oil or ghee in a wok and fry spices (a) until fragrant. Add rice and stir-fry well for about two to three minutes, then transfer rice into an electric rice cooker.

Add water, evaporated milk or yoghurt, pandan leaves and salt, then switch on the rice cooker.

When rice is cooked, dish out to serve with a sprinkling of shallots and garlic. Serve this with your favourite curry dish.

1 cheers:

Hazel said...

need so many ingredients and i think it's not easy to cook this,and i love nasi briani too