Nov 4, 2008

BAKED ALASKA - VERY RETRO



I'm not sure if it's still a trend to serve Baked Alaska these days, but in the 70s, Baked Alaska was consider a luxury treat for special occasions. What exactly is Baked Alaska, if you had not heard of it.

Ii is actually a dessert, with ice cream, cake and topped with meringue all around. Before it is served, it is usually either baked briefly or flamed and cut to serve.

Here is a simple recipe that I have:

Sponge Flan Case
A Block of Vanilla Ice Cream
2 tasblspoons Strawberry Jam
2 Egg Whites
4 oz (100g) Sugar

Spread the Jam over the bottom of the Flan Case. Place it in a dish that fits exactly. Put the Ice Cream into the Flan Case and mould to a pyramid shape using a spoon. Do not let it melt. Whisk the Egg Whites until stiff, then gently stir in the Sugar. Pile the meringue all over the Ice Cream, forming small peaks. Cook in the oven at 400F / 200C / Mark 6 for about 3 minutes - until the meringue stars to brown. Serves 4.

1 cheers:

Coriander Dreams said...

Never heard or tasted the Baked Alaska.

But based on your explanation, it sounds like something I may want to try! I don't think I can whip up something like that tho. I am struggling cooking every dinner what more bake. Hehe! But who knows maybe one day I can try!

Happy friday Connie!
-Marie