May 1, 2008

DIY HOMEMADE BUBBLES

I was looking for craft ideas for my kids when I chance upon homemade solutions to Bubbles. Boy, my girls really love Bubbles and I do spend a great amount of money on Bubble Solution, and Blowers off the shelf. My kids love to fix on these battery operated bubble blower (Ariel, the Little Mermaid) and when the solution for bubbles have been used up, I usually buy large bottles to fill it up.

When I found homemade bubble solution recipe online, I was totally ecstatic. When I was young, I used to experiment with soap, water or dishwashing liquid with water and mix them into a solution. Although they do make some bubbles, the bubbles pops very fast and do not stretch into big large ones since they had already popped.

Now I realised that there is this extra ingredient that is important for the bubble solution. This ingredient is Glycerin. You can get them at pharmacies, no problem. So I thought since it is so simple and easy to make bubbles, I shan't have to spend a bomb on bubble solutions anymore. And I'd like to share them with you here.

The recipes that I have picked out are quite simple. They use a certain brand (JOY) of dishwashing liquid which I cannot find in where I am but I'm sure you can try it with others until you find the right one.

This recipe is from Exploratorium website.
2/3 cup Joy dishwashing soap
1 gallon water
2 to 3 tablespoons of glycerin

This recipe is from Kids Domain Craft Exchange
1/2 (500 ml) cup dishwashing detergent
4-1/2 (4.5 liter) cup water
4 tablespoons (60 ml) glycerin

This recipe is from NWF Backyard Bubbles
1/4 cup liquid dishwashing detergent
3/4 cup cold water
5 drops of glycerin

I hope you will have fun with these homemade bubble solutions!

I learnt some helpful tips that a freshly made bubble solution pops at shorter lifespan. If you leave it out in an open container overnight, you will obtain bubbles that last longer. Also, use soap liquids that are exclusively used for hand washing purpose. Avoid contact with grease, alcohol or other impurities when you are making bubble solution. Use water that has been standing for 4 hours or perhaps overnight if possible as some water contain minerals that may not be desirable for bubble production.

0 cheers: